THE ECO-FRIENDLY IPHONE CASE

Less waste, one case at a time.

- As seen in -
Why Choose Pela

Why Choose Pela

> Amazing protection from drops & scratches

> Surprisingly smooth to the touch, sleek and lightweight

> BPA-free, eco-friendly and child-safe

> And 100% completely compostable

> Free Shipping Worldwide

VIEW FULL COLLECTION
Reviews & Testimonials

Reviews & Testimonials

"[Pela has] somehow saved my phone from toddler handling over and over. Somehow I haven't had a cracked screen since he was born which if you know me, and him, is shocking ha!" —Kezia., The Whole Foods Diary

READ MORE REVIEWS

Believe in Better

There are now more mobile devices than there are people on earth and this year saw the billionth iPhone sold—in less than a decade. That's not just a lot of phones out there, that's a staggering amount of plastic phone accessories (and packaging) being consumed and disposed of at an alarming rate.

At Pela, we believe small choices add up to make a big difference, even as small as your phone case. Let's lead the way towards an eco-friendly, sustainable future. 
Vibrant Hues Collection
Pela Spring Collection 2017

Features

  • Smooth & Flexible

    Protects your phone without adding bulk. Most of our customers are surprised and delighted by the look and feel of our cases.

  • Happiness Guarantee

    Free shipping worldwide. Hassle-free returns, refunds or exchanges. We want you to be 100% satisfied with your Pela purchase.

  • Pay it Forward

    Pela is a proud member of 1% for the Planet where we donate a portion of our revenues to environmental non-profit organizations.

FAQ

What are the Pela Cases made of?

The Pela Case is made of Flaxstic®, which is comprised of Green Dot® Bioplastics’ Terratek® Flex GDH-B1 compostable bioplastic elastomer and flax straw materials. Terratek® Flex GDH-B1 has been tested by NSF International to be safe and free of phthalates, BPA, cadmium and lead and is verified to meet child safety standards in the U.S., Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. It meets U.S. (ASTM D6400-04) and E.U. (EN 13432) standards for composting in an industrial composting facility and has a lower carbon footprint and lower greenhouse gas emissions than traditional plastic. It can also be left to biodegrade in a home composting environment. Terratek® Flex GDH-B1 is 35% biobased, which means it is made up of 35% biobased content by weight. The ASTM Standard D6866 defines biobased as new carbon (carbon from renewable resources like plants). We add up to 10% flax shive to the TerraTek Flex GDH-B1 to create Flaxstic®, which increases the overall biobased content by weight to 45%. The remaining 55% of our current Flaxstic® formulation is comprised of non renewable resources. Our ultimate goal is to continue to work with the best bioplastic companies to advance the bioplastic and biopolymer science to get to 100% biobased content. We are not there yet, but we will keep trying and we believe 45% biobased is better than none. Believe in better.

Why do we use flax straw materials?

The oil seed flax straw materials we use have unique properties that help to improve bonding and shock absorption. The flax straw material also helps us to increase the amount of biobased content and it provides a cool and unique appearance, which helps to spread awareness about sustainable bioplastics. We also like that by using flax straw we help provide farmers an opportunity to sell their flax straw, rather than burn it.

Is the Pela Case an ‘impact’ case?

The flax straw materials we use have natural shock absorbing qualities that will allow the Pela Case to function just as well, if not better, than similar soft cases made out of conventional plastic. The Pela Case is not designed to survive major abuse; however, it is perfect for protecting your smartphone from scratches, and everyday wear and tear and the odd drop.

Will the Pela Case biodegrade when I am using it?

The Pela Case will biodegrade in an industrial compost facility or in a back ard composter, but not in your pocket. We have not had a Pela Case begin to biodegrade outside of a composting environment. But if your case does begin to break down within one year of purchase, please let us know and we will happily send you a new Pela Case free of charge.

How long will it take the Pela Case to biodegrade in back yard compost?

This answer depends on the quality of the compost environment, which can vary greatly. So, the best range we can provide is that it will take 6 months to 2 or 3 years to biodegrade in back yard compost environment.

What non-profit organizations do you donate to?

Our Pela team is passionate about clean water and clean ocean initiatives like Water.org and Surfrider Foundation just to name a few. We would love to keep donating to different environmental organizations every year and hope to do so with the help of your Pela purchase! Thank you so much for your support and helping us Pay It Forward.